[gmpi] Re: NAMM follow-up, some major decisions to make

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:05:58 -0800

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 03:32:54PM -0500, Ron Kuper wrote:

> So the public can't have the right to send us code?  Or a patch?  Or
> ideas?  What's the point of being open?
> <<<
>
> The point is, GMPI is going to be for commercial vendors.  A person who
> isn't "in the game" for the few hundred dollars it takes to join the MMA
> isn't engaged in a serious commercial venture, therefore what is their
> purpose in contributing to a commercial standards effort?

I disagree - a standard is a standard for everyone, not just the
industry.  Some of the very best music software out there is very free.
Does that mean the developers do not have valid info?  (of course, we've
had a public req's phase, so yes, they have had input).

My main point is that if it is "open" then it is open.  If it is only
for "the industry", then it's not "open".  It might be visible, but it's
not open.

> As a commercial person, I don't see the point of this unless the MMA is
> involved.  The MMA is "the industry".  Having them involved isn't some
> token gesture to help them feel involved.  It's an overt acknowledgement
> of the changing shape of the music technology industry.

So no commercial app uses any "standard" or other tech unless a
standards body is involved?  Baloney.  The point of this is to get the
best possible API which solves the requirements we have gathered.  Being
under the MMA gives us legitimacy and encourages those who might dismiss
us off-hand to not do so.

I don't mean to be dismissive, I really DO see the usefulness of the
MMA, but we need to be honest about being open. We're either open or
under the MMA, but not both.

That said, we can gerrymander it so that we kindof do both.   As
proposed the API can be owned by the MMA, and the SDK can be open.  The
development of the SDK in parallel with the API will necessarily cause
the API to evolve somewhat openly.

So I'm not against it, but it is a matter of positioning, and to some
degree, spin.