[gmpi] Re: NAMM follow-up, some major decisions to make

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <angus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:35:26 +0000

Paul Davis wrote:

in my experience as a C++ programmer for about 11 years, there are two
major aspects to using a "genuine" object oriented language/toolkit:

1) implicit "this"

IMHO, implicit "this" becomes pretty significant as soon as you're dealing with more than one type of object passed to the dispatcher / more than one dispatcher.

However, we've already agreed to use C as the spec language. This
means that neither of the options i mention above are available. So, for now, I will stop rambling and ask Angus what he might be
thinking of in the way of a good "object API" ...

COM is nice in a lot of ways, when used properly... it's a bit heavyweight for our requirements, not platform-neutral*, and requires a bit more boilerplate code than is ideal, but the fundamental idea is sound. The idea of pure-virtual interfaces which are also directly callable from C, with all sharing a common base-interface that provides basic object interrogation services, is one I like a lot.

Regards,
      Angus.

* the business-end of COM will compile and run just fine on anything, but it's so loaded down with Windows-y type names and code conventions as to be heavily off-putting to everyone else...

Angus F. Hewlett, Managing Director (CEO)
FXpansion Audio UK Ltd - http://www.fxpansion.com
Registered in the UK - #4455834 - VAT: GB 798 7782 33