[gmpi] Re: Meta file contents ?

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:37:12 -0800

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:02:38AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:47:28 +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > > for each port/control
> >
> > Stop right there.  Parameters and IO are dynamic.  The plugin is allowed
> > to change those.
>
> Absolutly, but I would have though that the static case was common enough
> that it was worth optimising?
>
> If not then fine, I have no particular attachemnt to quering it that way.

As we discussed with "Channels" what I think should show up in metadata is
a definition of what channel structures are available.  The actual layout
of the parameter list depends on how many and which channels are currently
running.

Example:
define 1 "Channel Descriptor" with 10 parameters
instantiate 16 of those

Example:
define 1 "Channel Descriptor" with 6 parameters
define 1 "Channel Descriptor" with 10 parameters
define 1 "Channel Descriptor" with 116 parameters
instantiate 1 of each

The channel structure belongs in metadata, but the parameters list is
still dynamic.