[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Proposed Requirements (wrap up try #1)

  • From: Chris Laurence <claurence@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:51:26 -0600

Further, I don't think that the AU experience is instructive.  AU is only a
segment of the market.  Plug-ins are developed for the lowest common
denominator because of market segmentation.  With GMPI, advanced features
would be available in all hosts.  AU synths are still mostly ports of VSTs
from companies making synths for at least those two formats.  Development
hours spent to make a synth do something in AU that it can't in any other
format don't seem like hours well spent.  However, with GMPI, those
development hours would apply to the synth in all formats, making for a more
compelling reason to put in the effort.

The AU experience illustrates a different principle.  Development time is
being spent porting to multiple formats which would be better spent
developing new synths and features.  With the compromise approach outlined
by Chris Grigg, GMPI can spare developers the effort of porting their
MIDI-based synths into a format which duplicates MIDI.  When/if those
developers want to move beyond MIDI, they can.