[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Common event coding

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:05:59 -0700

Steve said:

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 06:26:46 -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
 Note, I allow the original MIDI message to be optionally stapled to
 the message too, so for hosts and plugs that do prefer to work
> directly in MIDI messages they can -- but in a completely
host-tracked manner, with properly synchronous event delivery.

This would presumably extend to OSC/whatever too? I'm a little nervous about this, but it seems like noone would use it for general stuff.

Off hand I can't think of any obvious reason why this couldn't be done, if there's enough support. Though maybe I take that back, since OSC messages are totally open-ended -- any string could be a new message so you can't pre-determine a cross-coding -- as opposed to MIDI, where the message code set is fixed and known. See, for Mike the important thing is that the expanded message and the stapled MIDI are in sync, have the same info, which I .think. is what I showed, I hope, whereas it could be hard to make that promise with a free-form message code set -- not just OSC, but any protocol with that characteristic.

-- Chris G.