[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Common event coding

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:46:30 +0100

From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:14:02AM -0600, Mike Berry wrote:
> > - Host records a series of MIDI controller messages while sending them
> > to the plugin.
>
> So it records them to GMPI, potentially with the MIDI stapled on.
>
> > - User then edits one of the recorded items and creates a value that is
> > illegal to be coded as MIDI (controller value 64.01171875, or halfway
> > between 2 14 bit numbers).
>
> You can either edit the event as MIDI, in which case it is always
> MIDI-safe, or you can edit it as GMPI, in which case, it is no longer
> MIDI, and the extra payload of the MIDI-bytes should go away.
>
> I think this is the right answer.

This clearly indicates that this single command is really two commands:
the MIDI command and the higher resolution command. And that's even
the simple problem where the commands are essentially the same except
for the resolution.

> > As long as the plugin is not actually using the raw MIDI, then
> > everything is cool (but then we didn't need the raw MIDI anyway). But if
> > the plugin is only using the raw MIDI, then things break down. Either it
> > misses a controller change because there is no raw MIDI attached to that
> > one item, or it plays something other than what the user requested due
> > to quantization.
>
> This is partly why I dislike the idea of stapling MIDI onto events.  If
> the GMPI protocol is well designed, it's not needed, and is just a
> crutch.  Ever seen a (young) music student go through his sheet music and
> write the note names under the notes?  He never learns to read music very
> well. Not that I know that young oboe player, or anything :)

I never really learned to read music. I only know MIDI :)
But seriously, I don't think this is a fair comparison. How would you
combine normal sheet music and guitar tabulatur in a single compatible
format? I think you don't.

--ms