[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Common event coding

  • From: "Tom White" <twhite@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:14:07 -0700

> I have never worked with the MMA before.  All those others were snake
> pits of intrigue and jockeying for position and relative advantage.
> The MMA may be a bunch of political babes in the woods for all I know.
>
> But, I doubt it.  ;-)

The MMA is not a typical organization by any measurement.
I do not think you can really compare it.

> > The process we set out last year was to have a public requirements
> > phase, followed by a members-only implementation phase,
> > followed by a public approval/revision phase, followed by a
> > members-only ratification.
>
> With all due respect, this sounds like a "yes" answer to my original
> question.
>
> With these things, the devil is in the details.  Turning requirements
> into specifications cannot be done successfully by a separate group,
> in my experience.  Even with the best of intentions there will be
> misunderstandings.  Most technical decisions involve engineering and
> business tradeoffs.  Poorly-understood requirements levied by people
> longer present carry little weight, especially when compared to one's
> personal preconceptions.

That is why there is a review period. Such a thing is uncommon for
MMA specifications but we felt it appropriate in this case simply
because many of you seem unwilling to participate in MMA directly.

> > Yes, the implementation is a private effort.  But there's a
> > good chance that the MMA membership rules and fees will be
> > amended to make it easier for more of you to participate in
> > the design phase of the spec... not that it's really that hard
> > to become a member today.
>
> That would help.  I suspect that your concept of "not that hard"
> may not conform to the expectations or budgets of most open
> software developers.

This is a topic we (MMA) have debated for many years. The cost
to participate in the MMA is minimal, but it is not zero.

- TW