[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Common event coding

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:28:58 -0400

> I try not to ascibe malice to actions that could just as well be due
> to ordinary foolishness.  But, it was hard to find another explanation
> when you were slapped down for politely requesting the technical
> justification for MiG.  The answer was essentially, "this is a
> requirement because I say so".  That is a political justification.
> Formerly, this list had been a technical workgroup.  Both have their
> place, but it is a mistake to confuse the two.

Justifications for MiG were given and rejected by the NMiG group.  For
example, a synth vendor <x> from Hamamatsu might have lots of MIDI-bound
synth code laying around, and might want to keep MIDI around at least
initially.  Or, a successful plugin API like VST can talk MIDI, and have
succeeded nonetheless.  To me and the other MiG's these arguments are
simple
and obvious.  To me these *are* technical reasons.

But no technical reasons matter at this point, because it really seems
to be
a religous argument.  I'm glad we have a compromise to forge ahead with.

By the way, the stated objective for this group is as follows (quoting
from
the initial annoucement message for this list):

> The objective of the GMPI working group is to create a unified cross
> platform music plug-in interface. This new interface is hoped to
provide
an
> alternative choice to the multitude of plug-in interfaces that exist
today.
> Among the many benefits of standardization are increased choice for
> customers, lower cost for music plug-in vendors and a secure future
for
> valuable market-enabling technology.

You'll notice that is says nothing about "build a better widget" or "fix
the
problems in the existing interfaces."  The objective is
*standardization*
plain and simple.  Our purpose, technically, is how to achieve
standardization while still satisfying the needs of the music market.

So if Steinberg or Apple or Microsoft decide to turn over their
respective
plugin specs to the MMA, we can pack our bags and go home.  All we need
is
*some* standard, not a *perfect* standard.  Version 1.0 can have warts,
knowing that the right group of people -- this group -- will keep it
moving
in the right direction.