[gmpi] Re: Linux C++ question

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <ronkuper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:43:35 -0500

Being familiar with the Symbian OS, I'd like to second this statement.
Symbian does not allow writable static data in DLLs.

A static object is not writable static data.

A static object is one whose contstruction happens automatically at module load time, and whose destruction happens automatically at module unload time. The caveat is the the construction/destruction order of static objects is unspecified.

Static objects are a good thing, particular for things like factories, shared code across plugin instances, etc. We're better off understanding how they work, and identified particular platform gotchas, then banishing them outright.