[gmpi] Re: Item 0: Agenda

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:54:23 +0100

On Thursday 13 February 2003 15.15, Mikael Hillborg wrote:
> It has already been mentioned that it should be at least as open as
> MIDI. That says quite a lot IMHO. So there's no need to start with
> bullet number 17. /MH

Right, but there's a "hole" in the openness of MIDI: There's an annual
fee for manufacturer and DLS chunk IDs. It's not much, but who will
pay for IDs used by Free/Open Source applications? The maintainer
might (we're not talking about big money here), but what happens when
he/she drops the project and no one cares to take over ownership of
the ID?

This is no major issue with MIDI, all current plugin APIs I know of
require that every single plugin has a unqique ID. This must be
managed somehow, and it must work for everyone that wants to use the
standard.