[gmpi] Re: Item 0: Agenda

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:34:26 -0800

Could we perhaps handle this in the agenda by simply saying we need to consider whether plug inputs and outputs should be typed at a finer level than just whether they're audio or MIDI? I.e. audio/24-bit linear, audio/32-bit float, audio/MP3, etc. (I have some ideas to contribute for this once we get to the solutions stage.)

BTW, what would MP3 really mean in terms of a plug-in input?... What would a buffer be? I guess one MP3 frame? Whose size would almost always be different from linear audio blocksizes...?

-- Chris

P.S. If anyone has collected URLs for non-NDA tech info on all the existing plug-in formats, could that be posted here? Maybe we can also put that on the list home page?

I disagree - for instance, if you want to apply a chain of phase vocoder
plugins, you don't want to convert to and from the frequency domain for
every plugin. I have a large number of plugins in MN that are completely
reliant on this facility.

I'm only arguing this should be on the agenda so we can agree to throw it
out later. ;-)

... And we're going to come up against the viciousness of pluggable data
types when we talk about event data anyway!

--Richard