[gmpi] Re: Implementations?

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:06:16 +0100

On Saturday, December 27, 2003 11:01 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Feel free to implement whatever you like before you think about it.
> Unlike a 1-person project, once we define GMPI WE CAN NOT CHANGE IT.
> Call me overly academic, if you like, but I personally take the
> engineering side of an API as large as this VERY SERIOUSLY.

Agreed.

> We have not fully defined what people expect out of it (requirements)
> and you want an implementation.  It is apparant that we ened to do the
> requirements in-depth like this, since we find new reqs for almost
> every section.

Indeed. And that should be enough evidence to show that by starting from an
implementation, we'll also end up in endless discussions as to what should
be done. But that could lead to different people following different
implementations and possibly different API's, which would be worse than the
interesting and constructive discussions that are being held on this list.
We WILL get to the implementation stage (well, after the design stage, that
is...)

> That is my position.
> Tim

And that's mine too.

If some people really feel inclined to start working on design schemes *that
fit the already discussed/decided requirements*, that could be done in
parallel I guess (as long as it is clear which parts correspond to the
already discussed requirements, and which parts are *possible paths*). If
these schemes are kept up to date with all discussions/decisions all the
time (like what Tim is doing now for the requirements), it could be
interesting to see what people come up with at the end and how much these
designs are different from each other. And in the meantime, maybe
problems/thoughts will come up that can feed the requirements/design
discussions? I wouldn't do it in that order myself, but maybe other people
would feel better that way? Of course there's a chance some people will not
want to give up on their designs at the end and we'll end up with different
API's anyway...

Koen