[gmpi] Re: Hello? Anyone else outthere? (was Re: 3.9 Time Formats)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:47:43 -0800

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 04:25:35PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Am I just overly impatient or are we dead, here?  We're making no progress.
> >
> >Or does everyone think this topic has been covered enough?  I didn't really
> >see any resolution, but maybe I missed it.
>
> its just a pretty hard set of problems. nobody has come up with a
> description of a solution that is brilliantly compelling enough to
> make us all say "aha! that's it!"
>
> meanwhile, i know i am waiting for inspiration, especially since i am
> trying to draft a new proposal for JACK's own transport system which
> touches on many of the same areas as we are covering here.

Well, I was trying to stimulate the generation of use cases, so we can
figure out what the various transports are USED for and what we need to do
with them.  Use cases will show us the various pitfalls.

I posted a few to try to get things going, but it's been dead around here.

I'm probably coming off as a demanding, whiny, prick, but I seriously get
EXCITED about GMPI and these debates.  Every night I go to bed thinking
"When I wake up, there will be 20 emails for me to read, digest and respond
to".  I keep thinking that we're "almost done" with reqs.  Then I wake up
and nothing.

It's been DAYS since I tried the use-cases approach.  Nothing.  This topic
started with a flurry of smart people saying and proposing REALLY smart
things.  Now we need to suss out which concepts make sense and which don't.
I can't do it myself, and apparently I can';t extract information from you
all by sheer force of will.

So I'm begging, if you have any interest in seeing GMPI succeed, please find
the time.  At this point, I'm so GMPI-deprived that I'd be happy for Vincent
to drop in and insult me again. :)

Otherwise we can just do it the VST way and call it "good enough". :(

Tim