[gmpi] Re: "Gimpy" (was Re: XAP)

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:33:54 +0100

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 04.08, Russell Borogove wrote:
> Tim Hockin wrote:
> > I have to come forward and say that I detest the idea of calling
> > my plugins 'Gimpy' (GMPI).
>
> I think the negative connotations might actually help
> with geek credibility. Witness the success and good
> reputation associated with SCSI (pronounced 'scuzzy',
> which connotes filth) and the Apache web server (name
> derived from its status as 'a patchy server' in the
> early days). Geeks love ready-made slams against their
> standards, and turn them into terms of endearment. :)

Well, you got a point there - but remember that it's rather important
to sell this to end users as well.

Also note that the whole XAP team is part of this community that's
known for these funny names! :-) Even XAP is a recursive acronym
(typical Un*x thing), although with a less traditional ring to it.