[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now online

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:10:16 +0100

firstly i propose to make a processing classification.

A - the strict inplace plug-in.
----------------------------
these processing take "n" samples and return "n" samples. whatever "n" = 0
to infinite. This kind of plug-in can manage several input and several
output in real time, and are easy to port on DSP system where the latency
time is often fixed (e.g. 32 samples , 64 samples).

B - the non real time plug-in.
----------------------------
These kind of plug-ins are needing a minimum of sample number before
processing. They cannot be implemented on a real time system without
modifying some part of it. For example processing needing FFT 1024 sample,
needs 1024 samples to start to process something. But on a low latency
stream, you may be  called every 32 samples , so if you process 1024 sample
on a single call, you kill the stream. In this case , or the programmer is
able to diffuse the processing in small part (e.g. 32 samples) or the system
is able to provide an other kind of delayed call to avoid DSP overload....
(that we call in the hardware domain the double interrupt call, a first
interrupt push/pull samples, the second on is called when the required
number of sample is riched).

C - Conversion Plug-in.
----------------------------
These kind of product can process "n" samples and return "m" samples. "n" !=
"m". This is the case for time stretching , or variospeed processing, or
simply an audiot format conversion processing.

Secondly i will recommand to this community to talk first about differents
problems met here and there , in order to get the best overview as possible
of the GMPI challenge.

I apology right now for my english , (ths will be done for the next message
i could write :-)
hope all understand me anyway.
Regards
Vincent Burel