[gmpi] Re: Generalized Music Plugin Interface list is now online

  • From: Martijn Sipkema <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:30:25 +0100

[...]
> That's an interesting idea. In XAP we have this "worker callback"=20
> feature planned for loading files, allocating buffers and other stuff=20
> that would otherwise screw the RT audio thread.
>
> However, there's a problem with doing this on your average PC=20
> operating system: Scheduling latency. You can get away with having=20
> one thread per CPU doing RT stuff (with some luck, good drivers and=20
> lots of tuning), but if you start relying on lower priority threads=20
> meeting deadlines, you're asking for trouble, unless you're on a=20
> proper RTOS. (Well, it means trouble even then - it's very hard to=20
> design multithreaded hard RT systems of this kind - but at least you=20
> can expect the OS to schedule the right thread at the right time.)

Well, if asynchronous processing is needed, as is the case for FFT, then
you'll need an operating system that provides decent rt scheduling. The
asynchronous processing should run at a lower priority than the normal
processing, depending on its deadline. For this to be portable and for
different plugins to cooperate the plugin should request asynchronous
processing from the host.

--ms