[gmpi] Re: GUI Look & Feel (OT)

  • From: "Andy Cobley" <andy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:25:36 +0100

Angus,

Using a scheme like this how would a plug-in send information back to the
GUI, particulary if there is a fair amount of information to send ? I'm
thinking here, in particular, about the situation where a GUI may
want to display the current waveform that's being generated by the plug-in ?
Conceivably this  could be around 1000 floats, although I suspect it would
be a lot less.  Even so we could be talking about fairly large amounts of
data to the GUI from the plugin every 20ms or so for a smooth display
update.

Andy C

with a rich level of information, and provide a parameter model that
allows the host app to build a usable GUI (though potentially ugly, and
not *as* usable as the custom GUI might be) for almost any conceivable
plugin. That means providing, at the very least, momentary and latching
buttons and file-access controls as well as knobs and faders, and having
the ability for the plug to convey the notion of "parameter grouping" to
the host (thinking here of making a plug with 50+ parameters actually
usable to someone without visual cues). Basically I'm thinking along the
lines of an XML document that relates to the parameter map and can be used
by the host to lay out a default UI with system-native controls. This type
of parameter description document will also be very useful for hosts that
support advanced control surfaces (Mackie Control and the like).