[gmpi] Re: GUI Look & Feel (OT)

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:11:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Paul Davis wrote:

> i write all this because for once, the linux experience in this area
> is probably more extensive than the equivalent one under windows/macos.
> summary: the idea that the host can create a usable GUI for the plugin
> has not been found to work out in practice, and at the very least
> requires a lot of additional information from the plugin (we call them
> hints in LADSPA) to get a passable GUI.

Yes, although these curves and other "smart" parameters also have problems
when you're trying to make the plug editable from a control surface or
usable for an end-user with special accessibility requirements.

> i personally think that the XML solution is rather attractive (i still
> have the DTD, and sent a copy to Ron before this list started up), but
> have never had the time to do a draft implementation of host-side
> support. it is conceptually based on a mixture of VSTGUI-like controls
> with TeX/GTK+ style box packing.

Do you see the best way forward as being a "deep" XML-based implementation
capable of supporting full custom GUIs (i.e. allowing the control set to
be extensible with developer-supplied code, and supporting skinning and
suchlike), or two facets to the UI, one being a straightforward XML
document which can be implemented by the host but does not support custom
controls or skinning from the plugin end (hosts may implement their own
skin, provided it sits on top of accessible platform-native controls), and
the other being a custom-UI object.

I favour the latter... even though it's less elegant in some ways, I
suspect it's more attainable than the former, which would tend to make
custom controls a lot of work to implement, and perhaps not offer the
plugin vendor the degree of control over their custom UI that they want.

Regards,
        Angus.