[gmpi] Re: FW: Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Bill Gardner <billg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 14:28:52 -0400

Chris, thank you for an excellent summary!

Seeing it all spelled out like this, I'm starting to think that all event timestamps should be in MUSTIME. MUSTIME can be generally defined to encompass both absolute times and musical times. Absolute times result when the tempo doesn't change, so provided the definitions for MUSTIME and tempo are sufficiently accurate, I don't see any disadvantage to using MUSTIME for all event timestamping. It seems really messy to stamp outgoing events with absolute times that need to be recalculated when the tempo changes. Event queue sorting/management is a lot easier if everything is stamped with MUSTIME.

MUSTIME to me has a connotation of being inaccurate, that is of having musically pertinent resolution that may be insufficient for sub-sample-period synchronization. If I start to think of it as being extremely accurate and scalable, then it starts to make more sense as a timestamp.

Also, for ABSTIME, how's about a 64-bit fixed point representation, seconds scaled by 2^32? The wall clock can start from year 2000.

Bill