[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: "Tom White" <twhite@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:25:43 -0700

> I don't believe that MIDI as it is exists is a great environment
> for composing. For example, in my own work, the inability to alter
> parameters on an individual voice after it has been triggered is a
> major stumbling block.

Once again I don't understand how you support you conclusion.
Please follow along and tell me where my explanation is flawed.

The ability to modify a voice after is triggered depends first
on the synth engine allowing it (responding to some command),
second on having an appropriate control (physical) to use for it,
and third having a means to send the command using the control.

MIDI is a large set of numbers, assembled together into messages.
People are free to use many of the numbers in any manner they
choose. For example, if you have a synth that actually will respond
to voice modifications after triggering, and you had a way to tell
it what MIDI controller number you wanted to use for what mods to
what voice, then all you would need to do is pick a controller and
assign it to "voice A modification B".

So... how is MIDI unable to alter an individual voice after is has
been triggered?

- Tom White