[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:28:42 -0700

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 04:58:20PM -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:
> How do you know there's no MIDI in there?  FL also hosts VST(i)'s,
> correct?  How does MIDI from the outside world get passed into the
> VST(i)'s in FL?

I know because the developers are adamant about it.  The FL->VSTi wrapper
converts the native FL music control API into MIDI for VSTi plugins that
can't do anything else.

Native FL instruments have much richer capabilities than VST instruments,
precisely because they are not limited by MIDI input.

I'm not just pulling this design out of my ass, you know. :)  I tried it,
and it rocks.  One of the things I find really bizarre about trying Sonar
after using FL is that I can't do any of the things I am used to, because
it's all just dumb MIDI.