[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:06:32 +0100

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:34:28 -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:

>       I have yet to hear about a MIDI plugin which will not work,
> easily and efficiently), with MIDI translated to GMPI events and SysEx
> blobs. I cannot sanction making a design decision based on a marketing
> issue which can easily be spun.
> <<<
>
> We can't argue the translation question until we know precisely what the
> GMPI events are for music.  I assume want GMPI music events to be less
> semantically opaque than MIDI.  So what corresponds to "sustain pedal"
> or "pitch bend"?  How do we ensure that every MIDI event that purports
> to have semantics (if only by its name) is treated equivalently in GMPI?

I would imagine something like: (if you'l excuse the concrete syntax)

gmpi_controller_bind_midi(controller_a, MIDI_CC(64));
gmpi_controller_bind_midi(controller_a, MIDI_NRPN(1000));
gmpi_controller_bind_midi(controller_b, MIDI_PITCHBEND());

or whatever, so you can expliticly bind certain MIDI controls to GMPI
controls.