[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:59:16 -0700

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:47:36AM -0600, Chris Laurence wrote:
> I suppose this is as good a place for me to jump in as any.  Greetings to
> all.

Welcome aboard.

> it is off the table for those supporting MIDI in GMPI.  I know that I am
> interested in MIDI in GMPI as a bridge to the future if I may use a cliche.

What part of MIDI do you need to bridge into the future that NMiG model
does not provide?  In fact, GMPI is the bridge between MIDI and the
future.

> Plugin developers are lazy.  Yep.  So what?  Why shouldn't they be with

> To address a concern which has not been expressed, but may be implied.  If
> MIDI is available, what incentive is there for controller manufacturers to
> develop beyond MIDI?  This, I believe, assumes too much laziness.  In fact,

So on one hand you assert that developers are lazy, and rightly so.  Then
you assert that they're not *that* lazy.

Look, if I believed that MIDI input would only be used for a tiny slice of
legacy transition plugins, I wouldn't be so against it.  But Ron and Chris
and Martijn and crew are making me believe more and more that *lot's* of
plugin makers, especially synths, will use MIDI-only and give GMPI control
the middle finger.  Then we've invented an API for almost NO practical
gain.

I want consistency.  And as long as I believ that the majority will
just use MIDI because it's what they know and what they have code for,
then I am against it.