[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:57:51 -0400

I understand your point about existing gear.

Here's a possible solution (I'm not sure what I actually think about it
myself yet):

Tunnel "pure extended MIDI" (existing channel messages with timestamps,
note IDs, and float precision) through existing high-bandwidth MIDI SYSEX.
On the wire, there is only the existing MIDI wire protocol. Inside GMPI
hosts and plugins, there are the new extended MIDI channel messages. An
adapter takes the SYSEX messages and reformats them to "extended MIDI", and
vice versa. In compatibility mode, a plugin can just see byte fields if
they so choose.