[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:49:54 -0400

The salesmen are selling in the music stores only because somebody invented
something for them to sell. Every great oak from a little acorn grew --
MIDI was no big deal to start with, so your argument from usage avails not.

It occurs to me that my posts may seem incoherent because I talk about (a)
no MIDI in graph and (b) extending MIDI. I can simplify things by saying
that as far as I'm concerned it's a categorical requirement that musical
performance gestures be captured and represented at the highest technically
feasible precision and in an extensible way. This could be done with
parameters/callbacks or with messages, including extended MIDI messages --
I don't really care which. I would categorically oppose any use of MIDI
that restricts precision, restricts bandwidth, or retains awkwardnesses
such as MSB/LSB, variable length fields, etc. I would also oppose
unnecessarily complicated software engineering, so would favor NMIG or
extended MIDI over some hybrid of GMPI and MIDI.