[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:34:28 -0400

        I have yet to hear about a MIDI plugin which will not work,
easily and efficiently), with MIDI translated to GMPI events and SysEx
blobs. I cannot sanction making a design decision based on a marketing
issue which can easily be spun.
<<<

We can't argue the translation question until we know precisely what the
GMPI events are for music.  I assume want GMPI music events to be less
semantically opaque than MIDI.  So what corresponds to "sustain pedal"
or "pitch bend"?  How do we ensure that every MIDI event that purports
to have semantics (if only by its name) is treated equivalently in GMPI?

My fear is that we're going to lose this 1:1 translation in a high
minded effort to do it The Right Way.