[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:29:31 -0400

Because of the success of MIDI, musical style evolved to suit the
limitations of MIDI in ways that are audibly obvious -- regular meters,
relatively "square" feel, and so on. This situation is absolutely
temporary. If, when styles change as they certainly will to more flexible
time and pitch, performers will ABANDON MIDI and use (a) hard disk
recording, (b) OSC, (c) other more precise plugin protocols (it is to be
hoped, including GMPI). "Laptop music" is the laboratory where these
alternatives currently are evolving.

Let us not forget, when MIDI came into vogue, hard disk recording and
networking in the studio were beyond individual means. We are now decades
into these technologies. Anyone in an industrial country who seriously
wants a networked studio and real-time DSP can have it. In other words,
lack of alternatives channeled innovation down the MIDI path. There is no
such channel today except marketing and inertia.

High-bandwidth MIDI over USB or fireware is an intermediate step. Once the
high bandwidth has been implemented, higher precision and other data types
and messages can be tunneled through the MIDI protocol via SYSEX. The
studio wiring remains unchanged. Only the performance controller and its
hardware and firmware need work, and the user's software. But this is a
complicated, messy workaround.

I thought we were trying to avoid this nest of protocols.