[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:28:16 -0400

>These USB controllers may not have a MIDI jack, but if they are music
>controllers they almost always implement a MIDI driver.  If all it's got
>is HID or proprietary USB then the gear can't interoperate with other
>gear, and what's the point in that?

Do you want me to send you the responses I get from companies that
make these devices when I ask them for specs so that we can do an
open-source implementation of their protocol? Even for Mackie, they
were pretty pissed when it turned out that Emagic had inadvertently
leaked the entire sysex control protocol for the {Mackie,Logic}Control
on their website.

Interoperation of DAWs and control surfaces is part of the old "host
differentiation" that we've heard about. Apparently no reason to favor
interoperability in this market when you can use protocols to forge
strategic relationships ...

--p