[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:25:09 -0400

>Why can't GMPIs control language be MIDI++?  Allowing MIDI in at a low
>level doesn't prevent expanding scope beyond MIDI.

Because MIDI has totally open-ended semantics that the host cannot
track. We've been over this point several times. Allowing a plugin to
accept MIDI as a control input means that the host has no idea what
the state of the plugin is.

Does the host need to know? Mike seems to think so. I don't have
strong opinions, but my actual experience has always involved the host
knowing.