[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:23:14 +0100

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:09:42PM -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:

> If its a MIDI -> MIDI plugin then it doesnt need to be in the GMPI
> graph, by definition
> <<<
>
> I disagree.  Once GMPI is released I want our hosts to have all audio
> and MIDI processing live in a GMPI graph.   All of it, even stupid MIDI
> routers, filters and processors.  If you are saying that there is a
> class of musical plugin that doesn't belong in GMPI, then GMPI is
> incomplete.

OK, that wording was confusing. I didnt mean they aren't in GMPI at all,
just not in the part of the graph that speaks GMPI. Thier not. Its kinda
clear - it doesnt read GMPI control data and it does't output it, so from
a NMiG p.o.v. (which is what you're trying to understand) its not in the
graph.  It may still feed into it, or process its outputs, and it might
still be a GMPI plugin on paper, but its not actualy 'in' the graph.

> > This assumes that GMPI controls have been designed in such to ensure
> > that such a map exists.  There are hundreds of MIDI messages that need
>
> > to be considered here.
> No there are only dozens :)
> <<<
>
> 128 continuous controllers, a space of 32k RPNs.  More than dozens.

CC(x), NRPN(y)

theres only a dozen types - enumerating them explicitly would be
ridiculous.

> > I don't know the status, but take a look in a music shop or music
> > catalogs.  The overwhelming majority of controllers are MIDI.
> Ones manufactured in the last two or three years are overwhelmingly USB,
> and of those some are MIDI over USB, some are HID.
> <<<
>
> These USB controllers may not have a MIDI jack, but if they are music
> controllers they almost always implement a MIDI driver.  If all it's got
> is HID or proprietary USB then the gear can't interoperate with other
> gear, and what's the point in that?

DAW applications have control drivers that dont speak MIDI. Theres really
no need for a DJ control surface to speak MIDI, what would it do? Theres
no sensible way to represent it that would be understood by a generic MIDI
host, so why bother? Not to mention the increased bandwith and control
accuracy offered by HID.

This is kinda off-topic, I'm just pointing out that MIDI is not, and
will not be the only control protocol used by GMPI hosts. e.g. Premiere,
we know it doesn't speak MIDI, but it does use USB HID shuttle controls:
http://www.bella-usa.com/Products-EZKeyboard-Details.htm