[gmpi] Re: Drilling down into MIDI->GMPI conversion

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:23:12 +0200

On Wednesday, June 23, 2004 12:26 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Tom White <xxxtwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Again, my biggest fear is this:
>>
>> We allow MIDI.  Everyone who wants to port from VST to GMPI
>> will just use the MIDI input and skip the GMPI controls.
>
> I'm confused. How does some other developer using MIDI have any
> affect on what you do in your app?
>
> Why would you care what other developers do with GMPI as long as
> you can do what ever it is that you do and you don't have to
> support multiple formats anymore?
>
> Isn't that the whole idea behind GMPI?

Well, if you want to start chaining GMPI plugins in a graph and one of them
supports only MIDI, how are you going to integrate these plugins in the
graph?
And the concerns surface because it seems like some people tend to only
support MIDI, so interoperability will not be accomplished.
I think.
Koen