[gmpi] Re: Decision time: 8.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:58:39 +0100

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 07:42:54 -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> Tim Hockin said:
> >I don't think MIDI has any place in a modern plugin API, except "something
> >translates incoming MIDI to internal messages".
>
> Without wishing to start a religious war, I disagree.  MIDI is one of
> the fundamental building blocks of practically all music and audio
> studios.  Being able to process -- filter, split, merge, channelize,
> etc. -- MIDI streams as data/event pipelines per se is a basic
> functionality without which a plug-in API would not be too terribly
> practical.

I think Tim was saying that plugins shouldn't have to process MIDI bytes
obviously they will still get the data, but in a transport neutral and
preparsed form, MIDI streams are too closely tied to 8bit serial
interfaces. Hopefully the internal representation would also be rich
enough to represent OSC and similar things.