[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.3 (was 7.4, but 7.3 was too detailed)

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:46:59 -0600

Tim Hockin wrote:

I'm skipping the old 7.3 (disconnected ports) because I think that will just
fall out of the bigger picture naturally.

So old 7.4 is now 7.3 (and last 7.x!)

Topic 7.3:  Silence

Q: Do we handle silent buffers specially?

  a) Yes.  There is a flag somewhere to indicate that a port is now silent.
     Plugins and hosts may both treat this as optional.

b) No.

c) Other. Explain.

a) If a buffer is actually silent (contains all zeroes), then the host can optioanlly set the silent flag. If the plugin does not process in place, then it can safely ignore the silent flag, or it can set it on its output buffer if it is actually silent. If the plugin processes in place, then it must recognize the silent flag, not necessarily for processing, but it must clear it if the io buffer is altered so that it is no longer zero. In all cases, the silent flag can only be set on a buffer which actually contains all zeroes.

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems