[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:02:09 -0700 (PDT)

> marketing-savvy for a plugin to have F64 support, but it would be
> shortsighted of that developer to not include an F32 version in the

What stinks is that we have no proof either way.  We have similar (but not
really similar enough) experiences with different plugin formats.  But the
diffs there are so vast as to make the analogy not work.

What do other people think?

> Sorry, can someone explain again the argument regarding UV22 and other
> dithering plugins? Are they somehow able to keep using floats as their
> output?

As long as they don't need more than 24 bits of precision, they can be
stored perfectly in a float(32).  The mantissa is 24 bits.  So they COULD
dither to 16/24 bits, then convert that back to a float by dividing by
SHRT_MAX (or whatever).  When the host or whatever goes to output it, it
would multiply by SHRT_MAX (or whatever) and get the exact result back.  Not
perfectly optimal, but it eliminates the need for different types on input
and output (as long as we don't need > 24 bits precision).

> Also, we should expect type-conversion plugins to be very readily
> available, so that's not an issue - the only real cost for hosts is in
> supporting different types of inter-plug "wire", and in knowing when to
> load a format-converter.

If we allow plugs to have different in and out types, then yes, all the
conversion stuff is just more GMPI plugins.  If we simplify life and make a
single plug-global type, we can provide an ancillary converter API, which
can implement your favorite dither of conversion.

That is IF we support more than one datatype simultaneously.