[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:40:56 -0700 (PDT)

> >Is it really weighing down EVERYONE?  Most hosts will just not load a plugin
> >that is not Float32.  I don't see that as any weight at all.
>
> what is the point in writing a new API to try to overcome the current
> plethora of equivalent-yet-incompatible APIs, only to introduce a new
> category of incompatibility. "sorry, that host doesn't support our
> plugin's datatype". what is the point? what is the difference for the
> user (or the plugin author or the host author) with "that host doesn't
> support our plugin API" ?

OK, that is a very good position.  Is it safe to say that tehre are really
only two basic types (float and int)?  If a host is designed to run on a DAW
and it doesn't support float, is it safe to say it was intentional?  Ditto
for vice versa wrt Mobile hosts.

This really does get me thinking, though, more than all the debate about
profiles (Sorry guys - this one hit home).  I've been going on the
assumption that flexibility is good.  Maybe we really DO want to force
developers hands on this.

Off thinking...