[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:08:15 -0700 (PDT)

> The idea is to ensure that all the plugins on one system use the same
> audio type, this makes it easier for plugin devleopers, simpler and more
> efficient.

How is that easier for plugin developers?  Can you explain?  What is more
simple or efficient?

> I dont think you understand the idea, it would (hopefully) get us to a
> world where there was only one audio format (gmpi_sample), but that format
> depended on what platform you were running, but, it is totally unambigous.

That is not a bad statement.  There are a few details (see other email)
about attaching a difference in SDK to different platforms.  I think also,
that this will be very confusing.  You really CAN'T operate the same way on
Int samples as Float samples, can you?  I mean, the math ops alone need to
change, not to mention algorithms.

> > You can guarantee me that no one will do an Int24 plugin for x86?
>
> No, but no one would bother. That fact that no hosts would load it and the
> SDK wouldnt be available for x86 target platforms might discourage them ;)

How do you know no hosts would load them?  Assuming the SDK is not available
is begging the question.  No one would write an Int24 plug because the SDK
does not exist.  The SK does not exist because no one would write an Int24
plug.

> However, the API would be broadly the same, so if you were familair with
> the "desktop profile" GMPI, building "paltop" plugins would be less of a
> learning curve, though you probably wouldn't be able to reuse much code.

Is this better than the alternative?  In the alternative, the only thing
that needs to change is the sample-manipulation primitives (well, your
algorithms may change, I guess).  That said, I don't expect a lot of Plugin
authors to publish plugins in both formats.  But why make the SDKs
different?  Just make it the same SDK, with the only difference between
hosts is the datatypes they choose to support.  Less divergence is more
better?