[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.1

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:05:50 +0100

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:53:24 +0200, Sebastien Metrot wrote:
> Mixing channels with SIMD is really easy, interleaved or not. However
> filters and delay lines are a pain to optimize when not interleaved (and
> they are the basic building blocks for 95% of the effects if i'm not
> mistaken). However there is a number of effect that would still be
> unoptimizable even with interleaved data: chorus, basic reverbs, etc
> just because they are not symetrical on every audio channel (you do not
> use the same delay time for each channel in the sample and so cannot
> treat them at the same time).

I agree that its slightly more work to optimises filters on uninterleaved
data, but if you dont want to do that you can still swizzle into the
vectors. Compared to the cost of running the filters it will be cheap

If your filtering something directly from the input path then you can
(should) only run SIMD on it if it happens to be alligned correctly and if
you have to realign, or its not directly from the input then you can
either swizzle for free, or have to swizzle anyway, depending on your
viewpoint.