[gmpi] Re: COM was: low level API - Abstract Factory summary

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:59:59 -0700

B.J. Buchalter wrote:

But other than the toll-free bridging to C++ on windows and this enforced versioning, it is not clear how the other aspects of COM are really helpful in this contexts. BTW, I did read the links that have been posted here about COM; this has only tended to enhance my perception.

I certainly expect that we can use multiple interfaces on single objects to our benefit. There are a number of capabilities in the reqs on both the host and plugin sides which are optional. Each of these should be isolated into an interface which does not need to be supported and which the caller uses a query mechanism to determine support. This should make it easier on developers to sort out the required parts of GMPI from the optional ones.
I also think that there are potentially some benefits to the using COM objects at smaller scope than the whole plugin. For instance, I'm not sure how we are going to work out the tempo queries from plugin to host (and I'm not suggesting talking about it now, simply digging for an example), but the host might give the plugin a COM object which can be used to query for tempo information. In some hosts, this might simply be an interface to the host itself, but in other hosts it might be a smaller object. The big advantage here is that the host can then attach its own information to the object, without having to write a new mechanism to support this.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems