[gmpi] Re: Bridging GUIDs and URIs

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:21:15 -0500

GUIDs are 128 bits.

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Steve Harris S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:12:11 +0000
To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gmpi] Bridging GUIDs and URIs

I've used the XPCOM interface inside Mozilla, but that either doesnt have,
or doesn't expose the GUID gubbins to developers, so this may be off mark,
but...

A well known* technique for processing huge volumes of URIs is to hash them
with a universal hash (such as MD5), this gives you a non-colliding
identfier of 64-128 bits.

My understanding is that GUIDs are 64bit integers. So, can we take a hash
of the URI thats used for plugin identification, and use that as the GUID
for the COM object? It requires that developers can set the GUID for thier
COM objects, and I dont know if that can be done, but it seems like a way
to use URIs for identification, and keeping COM compatability where that
matters.

- Steve

* http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/8231/ sec 4.4 pg. 7

http://mail2web.com/ .