[gmpi] Re: (Bookmark) Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 02:36:47 +0200

This is a rather fat bookmark... ;-)

On Saturday 03 May 2003 00.26, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2003, Chris Grigg wrote:
> > Yes yes!  Pin == grouped port, label == hint.  Good good.
>
> That's getting better. We can always have demultiplexor plugins to
> allow Tim to do his "crazy wiring", although label implies only
> human-readable, I'd rather see a system, if possible, that is
> capable of conveying some degree of meaning to the host.

We've been talking about "cables" to deal with this in XAP.

What we have is effectively one pin per control - BUT, a pin does not
imply an event queue. You *may* have one queue per pin, but most
plugins will probably have only one queue, or maybe one queue per
channel (MIDI style channels, that is) or something like that. It
doesn't really matter, because each control output knows where to
send events, and what cookie to stamp on them for identification.
Granted, the host will have to compare context IDs to figure out when
sorting/merging is needed, but that's done at connection time only.
Sorting/merging is only done when strictly needed, and it's the only
"fiddling" you should ever have to do with event queues.

Anyway, a "cable" is a higher level grouping of controls. I'm not even
sure it has to be in the API spec, as it's just a grouping the host
may do by looking at the control hints. When connecting one plugin to
another using a cable, the host scans the hints of the sender and
receiver and connects any controls that are compatible.

It's basically like MIDI CCs, except that we use a hint for each
control, instead of standardized control indices.