[gmpi] All this talk... Why not make a start?

  • From: "Andrew \"Silver Blade\" Greenwood" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:57:44 -0000

I've noticed that recently the mailing list has become a lot more active, to
the point of me having to skim-read the emails to see what point was being
made.

I'm looking forward to GMPI becoming a reality, however so far it seems a
lot of us disagree on various details.

Maybe it would be good to just start writing the actual software, and to
implement new suggestions or answers to the requirements, as they arrive?

For example, a basic outline of prototype functions to be used in the GMPI
API (there's a mouthful... gimpy happy?) could be created, to give an idea
of what would be available to hosts. This could then be looked at by the
mailing list members, and commented on, and revisions made. Once everyone
was happy with that, you could move on to something else like implementing
the different event types, or defining the type of a MUSICTIME constant or
something.

This may seem like a completely insane idea, but I feel that we may just end
up constantly debating different issues, small and large, and end up having
to deal with a gigantic bulk of ideas when it actually comes down to writing
GMPI. And then, where do you start?

Another reason I suggest this is that this approach has worked before - I
occasionally tinker with a freeware Windows clone called ReactOS, which
originally started in the form of a load of discussions, with no results.
Someone else took over the project, and actually started coding. Since then,
a lot of progress has been made.

It's just an idea to try and get things moving along. Even if people could
just post bits of code to the list for possible revision it might be good.