[gmpi] Re: [API] +++ RESET +++ (Parameter Grouping, metadata)

  • From: Urs Heckmann <urs@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:54:57 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 12.02.03, um 01:02 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Steve Harris:

Your buffer grouping thing sounds worthwhile, if it can be made simple
enough. Something equivalent for controls could be good too, eg. grouping
the (gain, Q, freq) of parametric eqs.

- Steve

Yeah, although it won't necessarily affect the process, it would be an incredibly useful thing to have certain metadata for Parameters and "how they are wired".

Here we have an example that shows where GUI aspects should be considered at early stages of discussion. If we assign a grouping paradigm to parameters, we can build a very strong generic GUI kit afterwards. Imagine to be able to only open the filter section of a synth if you only want to modify that. You'd save lots of screen estate and clutter...

Another point would be adding some kind of meta-parameter scheme. If the developer (or the musician at a later stage) can specify certain symbolic relations or dependencies between a set of parameters, a GUI can react on that.

Examples (ordered by complexity):

*automatic X/Y controlers for Cutoff/Resonance

*high level representation: Remember Korg DS-8? It had an Interface based on substractive synthese to address underlying FM. I think there had even been a Yamaha keyboard which let you chose between "simple synthesis" and "dive into complex synthesis" control. Appropriate metadata could (?) automatically generate higher-level representations

*Metaphoric views: If settings of parameter groups can be given complementary "meaning" based on distinct choice of parameter relations, a group of parameters can be "morphed" according to semantic properties. Imagine a filter section or whatsoever to be controlled from "dark - bright", "cold - warm", or overall sound from "natural - artificial". However, this will remain a personal dream of mine and would imply a whole sub-group of the list to figure out how to achieve that. Nontheless, a metadata can keep the API open for this.

;) Urs