[gmpi] Re: ABI's

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:03:12 +1300

> I meant the processor execution pipeline optimization, not compiler
> optimization.

Hi Chris,
Sorry, I realized later I had assumed you meant compiler optimization.

> If the host really really wants to use Mac OS X COM talk to GMPI plugs, then let it fake its own COM vtables -- IMHO that's plat-specific, inappropriate for the common code.

Agree.
MAC COM was originally designed to work on earlier versions of the OS. At that stage, the extra member was needed. Now it is not needed, but retained for backward compatibility. This need only arises when using *actual* COM. When using interfaces on their own, it is better to not have the extra member.

Jeff