[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: "Andrew Greenwood" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:55:55 -0000

> > For musical time, could we used a floating-point number representing
> > beats.ticks? So 1.5 for example would mean beat 1, plus half a beat.
Half a
> > beat could be 48 ticks, or anything really, depending on the PPQN of the
> > host, perhaps?
>
> It's possibly reasonable.  We're not really at liberty to decide that
right
> now, though we can certainly discuss the merits of it, on the record :)
>
> > This is just a solution to a problem I was trying to solve, so I thought
I'd
> > try and help out by offering it here as a suggestion.
>
> Can you tell us about the problem?

Well it wasn't a problem as such - while in the process of designing my
music sequencer, I thought of different formats to store the notes and audio
points in. Initially it was just going to be a case of sticking it all in
one 32-bit number and having a fixed PPQN. I only considered floating-point
Bar.Tick format a couple of weeks or so ago.

> > For non-floating-point-capable processors, this just wouldn't work,
>
> Which is a real problem...
>
> What's wrong with storing an unsigned 32 bit ticks counter?  At 120 BPM,
and
> 2520 ticks per beat, that gives you 236.7 hours of sequence.  If you stay
at
> 96 ticks per beat, you get 6213.8 hours of sequence.  Now, I admit that
pure
> ticks is hard because you don't know the history of meter changes.  So
what
> falls down if you say bar:beat:ticks (maybe 16:16:16 bits)?

I'm not sure about solving this for non-floating-point situations, but I
thought I'd offer what limited inspiration I had. I'll leave the
non-floating-point solution to someone with a little more expertise than me
:)