[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: "Andrew Greenwood" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:13:01 -0000

Sorry if this has been suggested before - I've been busy with other things
recently and haven't really felt that I can contribute anything to the
discussion of GMPI at the moment.

For musical time, could we used a floating-point number representing
beats.ticks? So 1.5 for example would mean beat 1, plus half a beat. Half a
beat could be 48 ticks, or anything really, depending on the PPQN of the
host, perhaps?

This is just a solution to a problem I was trying to solve, so I thought I'd
try and help out by offering it here as a suggestion.

For non-floating-point-capable processors, this just wouldn't work,
obviously. In which case, maybe there could be 2 x 32 bit integers - one to
hold the beat, and one to hold some sort of tick value, where the largest
number you can store in a 32-bit integer could represent an entire tick.
Maybe? I don't know.

But I hope this helps, anyhow.