[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: "Michael Stauffer" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:12:33 -0500

Tim wrote:

>It seems to me like the best answer for this would be a very small API
>specification that defines a host-neutral tempo-map structure and a
>transport for that structure.  Your "plugin" could then produce that
>structure (XML, packed binary, whatever) and hosts could read that
>structure.  I quoty-fingered the word "plugin" because it would NOT be a
>GMPI plugin, but probably a separate program.  This lets your
>"plugin" work
>in any host which would support this tempo-map API.

I like this idea, like a customized plug architecture for our
too-specialized-to-play-with-the-other-kids plug. ;-)  We've thought
along these lines before but had been hoping to find a more general
solution.

>In fact, I'd be surprised if there wasn't software that does
>fairly accurate
>beat-detection out there which has some sort of API built-in.

Do you mean a host with API access to its tempo map, or a custom plug
architecture like you described above. In either case, if anyone knows of
any, please let me know, I haven't seen anything like this yet.

Cheers,
Michael