[gmpi] Re: 3.8. Events Req 25 eventorder

  • From: "Robert Fehse" <robertfehse@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:17:06 +0100

> > No, Don't rearrange the MIDI data. We had huge debates about the
>
> I think that was for the same voice.  Obviously 2 voices should come in as
> recorded.  Maybe the definition should be that events are sorted but
> stable.  That is:  2 events for the same timestamp will never be switched
> from the order they were received, but two events for two different
> timestamps will be sorted.

But the main problem is still when they have the same timestamp.
I understand the glide problem, but expecting noteon's before noteoff's is
wrong to me.
If you want to play legato to use glide then do so by really overlapping the
events.
But handling 2 noteon's followed by a noteoff for the same note is
unnatural.

I am thinking of a sequenced note which is running in a cycle where the note
off has the virtual (because of the cycle jump)
same timestamp as it's own note on.

I would find it very unnatural if the noteon would come first.

Perhaps one should distinguish between realtime and sequenced mididata but
this could lead to
even more confusion i guess.

Robert