[gmpi] Re: 3.19 Localization

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:23:35 -0700

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:48:59PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> >  Localisation might involve re-arranging the UI to handle right-to-left
> > text...changing icons to reflect local culture...etc.  Localisation depends
> > on the target OS ( I generate an ASCII version for Win98, a UNICODE version
> > for Win XP).

OK then, how about:

* GMPI plugins must be localizeable.  The host must expose the current
  language settings to plugins.

* All user-visible plugin strings must be localizeable, with the
  corollary that all identifiers that are used by the host must stay
  consistent.  For example, a parameter might have the name 'FOO' which is
  constant, and a display name, "Foo Frequency" which is localizable.

* GMPI must provide a simple string encoding and translation interface,
  similar to gettext(), which plugins can rely on to get automatic
  translation of their strings.

We're almost fully through the doc, gang!!!  Let's do it....