[gmpi] Re: 3.19 Localization

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:03:46 -0600

I am in favor of the host simply specifying the language ID and the plugin returning all strings in unicode in that language, or whatever language they map to that language ID.

Mike

Tim Hockin wrote:

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:23:19AM -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:

I don't understand the gettext() requirement. How can a host possibly
know how to translate all or any of the strings required for use by the
plugin? It seems to me that if a plugin wants to translate strings it
should provide the translated strings themselves?

If the where and how of string storage is well known, then the host or a
single shared lib can do the work, instead of each plugin doing it
themselves.  That's what gettext does.  Gettext does a lot more, I think,
which we may or may not need, too.

Or we could just say that localization is a plugin's responsibility, and
the host will merely make language preferences available.  I don't really
care much.