[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (goals)

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:02:28 -0400

>> The networked environment and everything else are all
>> acheivable without SysEx.  What is NOT simply acheivable
>> without SysEx is compatibility with existing HW synths
>
>... and other things such as digital mixing consoles...

i don't think so. i am only familiar with the Mackie HUI and
MackieControl protocols. the fact that they both use sysex to talk to
the host doesn't imply anything at all about how they interact with
plugin state. and in fact, in our nascent implementation of support
for the MackieControl protocol, the plugin has no clue whether its
being controlled from a console, a GUI, a generic MIDI control surface
or some other source.

again, none of this discussion has anything to do with MIDI going
to/from the host. that is obviously going to continue for the
foreseeable future because of the success and ubiquity of MIDI. the
issue is whether MIDI is available to control plugins (and whether
MIDI can be directly processed/edited/generated by plugins).

>> So I'm still fine with SysEx, if it is well understood that
>> you're not supposed to be doing NEW things with it, just
>> using it for legacy compatibility.
>
>I don't understand how such a distinction would be made and
>enforced... what are the physical differences between a "new
>thing" and a "legacy thing"?

"new" = "something not being done at the point where GMPI is
          introduced"
"legacy" = "something already being done at the point ...."

note: this description isn't about the use of sysex in general. its
about using sysex to control plugins running in a host.

--p